Welcome to Price County Wisconsin!
Lidice Memorial/Sokol Park, Phillips, 1 block off of Hwy. 13, corner of Fifield and Ash Streets. Picnic tables. The monument in the park is in memory of Lidice, a village in Czechoslovakia razed to the ground by the Nazi Gestapo. The monument was completed and dedicated in 1944.
Bostrom Park & Phillips Fire Memorial, Phillips, Hwy. 13. Picnic tables and benches.
Knox Creek Heritage Center, Brantwood, Hwy. 8 east to West Knox Creek Road and go south, N4517 West Knox Road. The Knox Creek Heritage Center an affiliate of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin is comprised of turn-of-the-century farmstead with many buildings.The first few segments of the Heritage Trail, near Brantwood, are open for hiking and exploring in summer and skiing and snow shoeing in winter. Just follow the “orange ribbon road.”
Old Town Hall Museum, Fifield, North of Phillips in Fifield on Hwy 13. Museum houses artifacts from the logging days of Price County from 1879 to 1930’s. Camp artifacts, railroad memorabilia, a Victorian period living room and kitchen and various displays. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Round Lake Logging Dam, Fifield, North of Phillips to Fifield, go 16 miles East on Hwy. 70 to Forest Road #144. Originally built in 1878 on the South Fork of the Flambeau River, stands as testimony to Wisconsin’s lumber boom of the 1800’s. In 1995 the dam was completely rebuilt using the historic timbers and original iron hardware. Listed on National Register of Historic Places.
Wisconsin Concrete Park, Phillips, 1 mile south of Phillips on Hwy 1. In 1950, at age 65, retired lumberjack Fred Smith began construction of the Wisconsin Concrete Park. He created over 200 sculptures built on wooden frames wrapped with mink wire. The frames, covered with hand-mixed cement, are embellished with various materials, such as glass, wood, mirrors, metal and stone. Some of his most widely recognized statues include Ben Hur, the Lincoln Todd Monument, Sacajawea, Paul Bunyan and Iwo Jima Monument. Smith’s work is internationally regarded as a masterwork of American sculpture and a fascinating collection of folk art. The park is maintained by the Price County Forestry and Parks Department and the Price County Tourism Department with assistance from the Friends of Fred Smith, Inc. Art Workshops and Events offered on a regular basis.
Timm’s Hill County Park, Ogema, Hwy. 13 south, east on Hwy. 86, 14 miles. Wisconsin’s highest geographic point, at 1951.5 feet above sea level. The view from the observation tower is beautiful. Enjoy fishing hiking, biking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing.
Copper Falls State Park Copper Falls State Park is approximately 55 miles north of Phillips near Mellen. Established in 1929, the park carries the name of the 29-foot falls that marks the first drop of the Bad River as it flows through about two miles of steep-walled canyons of awesome and rugged splendor. There are marked hiking trails, two camping areas, swimming, fishing and cross country ski trail loops in the park.
Morgan Falls and St. Peter’s Dome Morgan Falls and St. Peter’s Dome are located near Mellen. Hike the trail one-half mile from the parking area to this 70 ft cataract. Continue hiking from the falls for one mile to the top of St. Peter’s Dome. St. Peter’s Dome is a red granite summit about 1,600 ft. elevation. On clear days Lake Superior is visible about 20 miles to the north.
Fifield Fire Tower Located 5 miles east of Fifield on State Hwy 70. The tower will be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is maintained by the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. The Fifield fire tower stands 100 feet high and was built in 1932.At one time, nearly 40 towers stood vigilant in the Wisconsin Northwoods, lifting lookouts above the trees to detect and report forest fires.
Smiths Rapids Campground & Covered Bridge Intersection of Hwy. 13 and Hwy. 70 in Fifield, drive east 12.5 miles on Hwy. 70 to Forest Road 148. Turn left (north) on FR 148 1.8 miles. The only glued laminated Town Lattice covered bridge in Wisconsin, constructed in 1991. Built for aesthetic & practical reasons, because of its location near Smith Rapids Campground on the South Fork of the Flambeau River in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Drinking water, vault toilets and picnic area, carry-in boat access for canoe/kayaks, access to the River Saddle Equestrian Trail, scenic view of covered bridge.